[UPDATE: The winners of a print copy of one of my backlist books are K. April Holgate and Mary @ SweepingMe. I'll be emailing the winners with instructions, and thanks to all for stopping by! Remember, you can sign up for the newsletter to get book release news.]
Today I'm part of Carrie Ryan's Heartbreaker's blog hop, where literally hundreds of romance authors and bloggers are talking about heartbreakers in their favorite romances. You can go to EACH blog and comment with your email address and be entered to win. Yep, you can enter over 200 times.
And there are THREE grand prizes, plus the one I'm offering here: your choice of a signed print copy of any of my backlist books, all of them hot, sexy medieval adventures!
So start hopping, and have some fun! (Grand prizes listed below)
The Anti-ResuméWhy are so many heartthrobs also heartbreakers?
I think it's because when you throw your lot in with a confident, powerful man on a mission, you'd better be ready for the ride of your life. Prepared or not, you have no choice but to throw yourself, heart and head, right over the cliff. Be ready for anything.
But that doesn't make it a fun ride, right? (Well, for us readers, yes, but the characters must suffer. A lot. In other words, heartbreak.)
The heroes in my historicals can be truly brutal in their heartbreaking potential. I don't think these guys could actually ever land a job as a hero, if there were, you know, an application process somewhere.
I mean, with resumés like this, who would be crazy enough to trust any of these guys to save a desperate woman, a breaking heart, a barren life, a war-torn country? I mean, who?
Oh, right. Readers do. :)
- Sneaks into England to foment rebellion against a king;
- Leaves a bedraggled woman at a muddy hut with Saxon villagers so he doesn't have to take her with him on his Super Secret Spy Mission. After kissing her silly (Note: she catches up with him later);
- Lies to the daughter of the enemy he's vowed to destroy. Then takes things further than either of them ever meant to go. In an abandoned fortress. Leaves her the next day. Oh, sure, he promises to come back. But first there's a stint in prison, then a country to reclaim and castles to conquer...including hers....
The Irish Warrior
Hero: Finian O'Melaghlin
- Plans inventive ways to kill a member of the English peerage (okay, yes, he was being held in chains in the man's prison...);
- Flees across the Irish countryside with the English woman who helped him escape from prison--some might say "kidnapped" her. Wait. Some DO say that.
- Hesitates barely a second before indulging in overt sensual advances from the woman who saved him;
- Shows no compunctions about having hot, reckless sex on their flight across a war-torn countryside, teaching the heroine things no proper Englishwoman should know;
- When it comes to a choice between his people and his woman, he...well, you’ll have to read.
Hero: Jamie Lost
- Favored lieutenant of King John of England. Yes that King John. What more do you need more on an anti-resumé? But just in case;
- Ruthlessly determined;
- Capable of disabling people who get in his way with minimum fuss and maximum effectiveness, violently or otherwise, such as when he;
- Binds a woman in ropes and throws her on the back of his horse (true, it's to prevent her from lying or tricking him again. Also, since she knows a lot more than she’s saying, she poses a grave threat to his mission, but still, he tied her up, so it goes on the anti-resume. I don’t make the rules, I just follow them. Oh. Wait... )
- Irish con man;
- Former ‘piper’ for a powerful criminal lord, drawing in rich new partners to engage in dirty deals;
- Stole money as a youth to impersonate a knight (Note: did exceptionally well in tournaments);
- Falls head-over-heels in love with daughter of a corrupt judge who's on the take;
- Abandons her;
- Returns five years later to wreck revenge on the men who betrayed him;
- Takes her into his schemes (Note: Bad idea.)
So, tell me: if you were on the search committee, which anti-resumé above would tempt you the most? And how much would you pay him? (Kidding!) :)
Any other romance heroes with anti-resumés you just can't resist?
Two commentors win their choice of one of the above print books (Sorry--US/Canada only.)
Sign up for my Book Release Newsletter (sent 1-2 x's/yr)
and double your chances to win!
(Please, please remember to leave your email addy in your comment.)
Oh, and about those GRAND PRIZES, given to 3 randomly selected commenters across the entire Heartbreakers blog hop?
- 1st Grand Prize: A Kindle Fire or Nook Tablet
- 2nd Grand Prize: A $100 Amazon or B&N Gift Card
- 3rd Grand Prize: A Swag Pack that contains paperbacks, ebooks, 50+ bookmarks, cover flats, magnets, pens, coffee cozies, and more! (Sorry, swag pack is for US/Canada only)